ATLANTA, Ga. - Five cross country squads continue the 2019 season with races at two different meets this week. Teams from Jacksonville, North Alabama, North Florida, NJIT and Stetson are all in action. The Ospreys are ranked in the USTFCCCA's Week 4 Regional Poll coming in at 13th in the South Region. Liberty moved from 11th to 10th in the South Region while Liberty remained ranked ninth in the Southeast Region.
The FSU Invitational will feature four ASUN squads in its field for the 5K race on Friday morning. Teams from Jacksonville, North Alabama, North Florida and Stetson travel to Tallahassee, Fla., for an 8:20 AM start time. NJIT wraps up the day at 11 AM at Van Cortlandt Park for the Metropolitan Championships in The Bronx.
Jacksonville, NJIT, North Florida and Stetson are competing in their final regular-season meets of the season before the 2019 ASUN Cross Country Championship on Nov. 2, in Fort Myers, Fla. The Blazer Classic on Oct. 18, in Montevallo, Ala., will be North Alabama's last race of the regular season.
Jacksonville at FSU Invitational 5K - Apalachee Regional Park - 8:20 AM
- Last competed on Sept. 27, at the UCF Invitational where sophomore Hayleigh Palotti had a first-place finish; the team finished fifth.
- Other JAX finishers were Jayda Brooks (26:42.67, 30th), Rain Marti (26:42.79, 31st), Lauren Polimeno (27:00.34, 33rd) and Serena Gadson (29:43.03, 38th).
- In the 2017 FSU Invitational, JAX had a top-10 finish coming in second to meet host Florida State.
North Alabama at FSU Invitational 5K - Apalachee Regional Park - 8:20 AM
- UNA last competed at the Lavern Gibson Cross Country Course in Terre Haute, Ind., for the John McNichols Invitational.
- The Lions finished 13th in 21-team 5K race; Emma Knight led the team's runners with a time of 18:57.6 for a 94th-place finish.
- Two other team members finished in the top 100 of a field that included over 250 runners: Phoebe Moon (19:01.2, 96th) and Kara Nix (19:10.0, 98th).
North Florida at FSU Invitational 5K - Apalachee Regional Park - 8:20 AM
- The Ospreys' last meet was the Mizzou Gans Creek Classic 6K on Sept. 27, in Columbia, Mo.
- Sophomore Camryn Cooney, who finished 22nd with a time of 22:55.6, led UNF to fifth-place overall out of 11 teams.
- Other top finishers were Sade McLaughlin (23:02.8, 28th), Raquel Lespasio (23:07.8, 32nd) and Grace Gumpel (23:19.8, 37th).
Stetson at FSU Invitational 5K - Apalachee Regional Park - 8:20 AM
- The Hatters are participating in the FSU Invitational for the first time since the 2015 season; the team had a seventh-place finish.
- Stetson finished 11th overall in its last race on Sept. 27, at the 5K Queen City Invite in Charlotte, N.C.; Meggie Schneider paced the team (18:26, 9th).
- In a field of over 300 runners, two other Hatters finished within the top 70: Melanie Pacheco (19:12, 42nd) and Nicohl Torres-Santos (19:45, 68th).
NJIT at Metropolitan Championships 5K - Van Cortlandt Park - 11 AM
- In last week's 5K Highlander XC Challenge, the team finished fourth in the 29-team field and were led by Cassandra Raia (18:48.85, 12th).
- Other top finishers were Kelly Dicristina (18:52.81, 16th) and Laila Hill-Glover (18:55.46, 17th); Hill-Glover earned Freshman of the Week honors for her performance.
- At last year's METS Championships 5K, NJIT finished seventh out of 11 teams; the team was led by Dicristina (20:58.9, 43rd).
ABOUT THE ASUN
The ASUN Conference is an NCAA Division I league with nine member institutions committed to Building Winners for Life. The ASUN meets the challenge of maintaining the highest standards in academic and athletic achievement through a true balance between student and athlete. Six ASUN schools reside in Nielsen Top 50 national media markets, and all nine are in top 80 markets. The ASUN includes a blend of the most prestigious and dynamic private and public institutions in the region: Florida Gulf Coast University, Jacksonville University, Kennesaw State University, Liberty University, Lipscomb University, New Jersey Institute of Technology, University of North Alabama, University of North Florida and Stetson University. Bellarmine University in Louisville, Ky., joins the ASUN for the 2020-21 academic year.