ATLANTA, Ga. - The 2019 ASUN Conference Cross Country season continues this weekend with FGCU, Kennesaw State, Lipscomb and NJIT all in action. The Bisons are ranked in the USTFCCCA's Week 3 Regional Poll coming in at 11th in the South Region. Two conference teams rose in the rankings as Liberty jumped to ninth from 12th in the Southeast Region while North Florida moved from 14th to 13th in the South Region.
The Greater Louisville Classic will feature three ASUN squads in its field for the 5K race on Saturday morning. Teams from FGCU, Kennesaw State and Lipscomb travel to Louisville, Ky., for a 10:15 AM start time. NJIT wraps up the day at 11 AM by hosting the 5K Highlander XC Challenge at Branch Brook Park in Newark, N.J.
FGCU at Greater Louisville Classic 5K - E.P. "Tom" Sawyer State Park - 10:15 AM
- The Eagles last competed in the Louisville Classic in 2014 and ended the "Blue" 5K race in sixth place out of a field of 38 teams.
- This year's field features runners from several regionally-ranked programs including Vanderbilt (4th, South), Kentucky (7th, Southeast) and Tennessee (9th, South).
- This is FGCU's final meet of the season before hosting the 2019 ASUN Cross Country Championship at the Buckingham Complex on Nov. 2.
Kennesaw State at Greater Louisville Classic 5K - E.P. "Tom" Sawyer State Park - 10:15 AM
- KSU participates in the Louisville Classic for the first time since 2014 when the team finished 27th in the 32-team "Gold" 5K race.
- The Owls last competed at Percy Warner Park on Sept. 14 for the Commodore Classic 6K; the team finished in 17th place out of 20 teams.
- Katie Meyer led KSU with a 55th-place finish and a time 22:36.9; she was followed by Sarah Hendrick (23:15.5, 93rd) and Rachel VanAmburgh (23:38.6, 116th).
Lipscomb at Greater Louisville Classic 5K - E.P. "Tom" Sawyer State Park - 10:15 AM
- The Bisons send 14 runners to compete Saturday in both the "Gold" and "Blue" races to face a competitive 17-team field.
- In addition to the Bisons, several other programs in the race are also regionally-ranked including Vanderbilt (4th, South), Kentucky (7th, Southeast) and Tennessee (9th, South).
- Senior Brooke Kingma paced Lipscomb in its last race, the Commodore Classic 6K, with a time of 21:59.5 and a 22nd-place finish.
NJIT hosts Highlander XC Challenge 5K - Branch Brook Park - 11 AM
- In last year's 5K Challenge, the team finished fourth in the seven-team field and were led by Cassandra Raia (19:19, 13th).
- NJIT most recently competed at the Ted Owen Invitational 5K in Terre Haute, Ind.; the team finished 11th and were paced by Kelly Dicristina (19:33.0, 28th).
- The Highlanders' next meet is the Metropolitan Championships on Oct. 11, at Van Cortlandt Park in the Bronx, site of the 2018 ASUN Cross Country Championship.
ABOUT THE ASUN
The ASUN Conference is an NCAA Division I league with nine member institutions committed to Building Winners for Life. The ASUN meets the challenge of maintaining the highest standards in academic and athletic achievement through a true balance between student and athlete. Six ASUN schools reside in Nielsen Top 50 national media markets, and all nine are in top 80 markets. The ASUN includes a blend of the most prestigious and dynamic private and public institutions in the region: Florida Gulf Coast University, Jacksonville University, Kennesaw State University, Liberty University, Lipscomb University, New Jersey Institute of Technology, University of North Alabama, University of North Florida and Stetson University. Bellarmine University in Louisville, Ky., joins the ASUN for the 2020-21 academic year.