ELON, N.C. (liberty.edu) - Liberty held a lead on the road at Elon for nearly 60 minutes but a late goal in regulation by the Phoenix resulted in a 1-1 tie Thursday night at Rudd Field. The Flames are now 1-4-2 on the season while Elon is 5-1-1.
28' – LIBERTY – Kasey Jamieson (Assist by Gabrielle Farrell)
87' – ELON – Bethany Harford (Unassisted)
Liberty was able to maintain a lead for 59 minutes after scoring midway through the first half and play exceptional defense throughout the game. After struggling to capitalize on its opportunities throughout the game, the Phoenix broke through with three minutes left in the game. The Lady Flames had two quality looks on goal in overtime but their backline had to step up as Elon attempted six shots throughout overtime and Melody Jayroe came up with four saves during that span.
Key Stats & Notes
- Liberty and Elon both attempted 13 shots throughout the game.
- Liberty played in its second overtime match this season.
- Jamieson scored her third goal of the season.
- Jamieson's has now scored the last three goals for Liberty.
- Gabrielle Farrell's assist to Jamieson was her first of the season.
- Farrell attempted a game-high six shots.
- Liberty had five players attempt shots against Elon.
- Liberty (19) and Elon (11) combined for 30 fouls throughout the match.
Thoughts from Head Coach Lang Wedemeyer
"I thought we started a bit slow, we fouled a little too much in the defensive third, which gave them some chances but credit to our girls for getting up 1-0. I thought the start of the second half was fantastic. The first 20 minutes we were all over them and that is where we needed a second goal and we didn't find it. We need to take ownership of the little moments and instead of other teams taking them, we need to make them our own.
Liberty will return home to close out the week as they welcome ACC member, Pitt, to town on Sunday, Sept. 15. Kickoff against the Panthers is set for 1 p.m. at Osborne Stadium.