DeLand, Fla. - No. 3 Stetson advanced to its second consecutive ASUN Conference Women's Soccer Championship Semifinal behind a five-star performance against No. 6 North Florida on Saturday afternoon. The Hatters scored five goals to pick up the 5-2 victory, and will face No. 2 Lipscomb on Friday in Fort Myers, Fla.
Top scorer Sarah Collins scored twice in the first 20 minutes, with Briana Camargo, Lily Ammon and Hayley Williams finding the back of the net as well giving the Hatters their highest scoring match of the season. Camargo's goal 11 seconds into the second half proved to be the game-winning goal.
The opening 20 minutes belonged to the home side as Stetson piled on the pressure on North Florida's goal. The Hatters' leading scorer, Sarah Collins rewarded the team's offensive start with the opening goal in the 11th minute. Collins was found down the right side by Florencia Baldassini and finished one-on-one with North Florida's keeper Victoria Ekeli. Eight minutes later, Collins again was on the end of a long Baldassini pass behind the Osprey defense. Ekeli came out of her net to close down the angle, but Collins this time rounded the keeper and rolled it into the empty net for her second of the match.
The Ospreys needed a response and got it in the 33rd minute from an unlikely source. Brandi Walker forced a turnover deep in Stetson territory and blasted a volley from 23 yards out into the top left corner to cut the deficit to 2-1. The score remained the same heading into halftime, with Ekeli making seven saves in the first half as the Hatters out-shot the Ospreys 14-6.
The second half started with a bang as Briana Camargo found the back of the net just 11 seconds into the period to stun the North Florida defense and give Stetson a two-goal cushion at 3-1. But the Ospreys fought right back and were on the score sheet two minutes later as Alexis Bredeau went on a solo run and slotted home her shot to make it 3-2 in the 48th minute.
With the match hanging in the balance, Stetson continued to push on the attack and were rewarded in the 66th minute. Lily Ammon sprinted down the left side as Camargo slid a pass over to her at the edge of the box. Ammon moved into the 18-yard area and her shot went into the top left corner to give Stetson a 4-2 lead. Two minutes later, the Hatters put the match beyond doubt as Hayley Williams scored her second goal of the season to make it 5-2.
No. 3 Stetson advances to face No. 2 Lipscomb on Friday in the ASUN Championship Semifinals on Friday in Fort Myers, Fla. Kickoff is set for 4 p.m. at the FGCU Soccer Complex.
Stetson vs. North Florida Championship Notes
- With Stetson's win today, No. 3 seeded teams now have 10 wins against No. 6 seeded teams in ASUN Women's Soccer Championship history.
- Sarah Collins scored two goals today to give her 13 on the season, a new Stetson single season record.
- Stetson's five goals in today's ASUN Women's Soccer Championship are the most in a single postseason match for the Hatters in team history. Today marked the team's 19th ASUN Championship match.
- Four different Hatters finished the match with multi-point performances, led by Collins' four points. Briana Camargo finished with three, while Riana Metzger and Florencia Baldassini each had two.
- Brandi Walker became the eighth different Osprey to score a goal this season. The Ospreys had 10 different goal scorers last season.