ATLANTA, Ga. - Haley Alexander of Coastal Carolina and Katherine Widrick of Liberty earned the first ASUN Conference Women's Lacrosse weekly honors of the season after leading their squads to victory last week, as announced by the league office on Tuesday.
Alexander started the season off with a bang as she recorded eight points with five goals and three assists, leading Coastal to a win over old foe Old Dominion. She started the Chanticleers off fast, as she recorded a hat trick in the first half, scoring three of the Chants' first four goals. Defensively, she caused two turnovers, picked up two ground balls and won seven draw controls. Through the first week of action, Alexander leads the ASUN in points (eight), goals (five) and draw controls (seven).
Widrick led a stifling defensive effort from Liberty in its win against Lehigh. She allowed just five goals, while making 10 stops. Widrick achieved a milestone with her fifth save against the Mountain Hawks, as it marked the 300th in her career. She was dominant in the Flames opening win, as she held Lehigh scoreless for the first 41:21 of the contest and saved all four of Lehigh's free position shots. The Flames look to start 2-0 when they travel to Winthrop on Friday.
ASUN Women's Lacrosse Player of the Week - Feb. 12th
Haley Alexander, Coastal Carolina
Senior | Attack | Bel Air, Md. | Biology
- First Career ASUN Conference Lacrosse Player of the Week; fourth CCU player ever to win the honor
- Totaled eight points with five goals and three assists in Coastal's season opening win against Old Dominion
- Tallied a hat trick in the first half by scoring three of CCU's first four goals
- Went 1-1 on free-position shots, won seven draws and caused two turnovers
Other Nominees: Siena Gore, Kennesaw State; Abby Jones, Kent State; Carly White, Liberty; Shelby Lehmann, Stetson
ASUN Women's Lacrosse Defensive Player of the Week - Feb. 12th
Katherine Widrick, Liberty
Senior | Goalie | Camillus, N.Y. | Secondary Education
- First Career ASUN Conference Lacrosse Defensive Player of the Week award; first-ever for Liberty
- Made 10 saves and allowed just five goals in Liberty's opening day win against Lehigh
- Leads the ASUN in SV% with a mark of 66.7 percent and goals allowed with five
- Widrick and the Flames are back in action on Friday when they take on Winthrop
Other Nominees: Harley Barrett, Coastal Carolina; Alex Bunn, Kennesaw State; Grace Merrill, Kent State