ATLANTA, Ga. - FGCU's Chandler Ryan, Kennesaw State's Simina Avram and Lauren Gross of North Florida were at the top of their game as the calendar flipped to December and have been recognized as ASUN Conference Women's Basketball weekly award winners, announced by the league office on Monday.
A sophomore guard, Ryan produced a career-high 19 points in FGCU's victory at home vs. Houston last Wednesday. This marks the first time since the 2012-13 season in which a team has won three Player of the Week awards in a row. A deep-ball specialist, Ryan sank four of her six three-ball attempts as well as all four in her trips to the charity stripe in the close win. Her first career individual ASUN honor, Ryan gives FGCU three-straight Player of the Week awards following two from Keri Jewett-Giles. The 19-point outing marks the fourth double-digit outing of the year for Ryan, matching her total from her freshman season.
Avram also takes home her first individual honor as an ASUN student-athlete following her transfer from Georgia Tech to Kennesaw State. A senior center, Avram averaged 13.5 PPG and 9.5 RPG over a pair of contests for the Owls against Georgia Southern and Mercer. She began the week with a career night, totaling 20 points and 13 rebounds to establish new highs for her entire collegiate career. The Romanian product blocked away six shots for a season-high in that category as well. Avram followed the contest vs. Georgia Southern with seven points and six boards against Mercer on the road to close what is arguably the best week of her collegiate career.
North Florida's Lauren Gross wins her first Freshman of the Week honor to complete the trio of first-time ASUN winners. A guard from Mississippi, Gross tallied 17 points in helping the Ospreys defeat Charleston Southern in overtime at home. She drained a career-high three three-pointers vs. the Bucs and also knocked down a quartet of free throws in the game to seal the deal. She returned to the court at Colorado State and added eight points off the bench, knocking down a pair of deep balls in the process. Just the second North Florida player to win Freshman of the Week honors after Tiffany Tolbert did so last year, Gross raised her season scoring average by 2.3 PPG from 5.5 to 7.8 with her best week of the season.
ASUN Women's Basketball Player of the Week - Dec. 3rd
Chandler Ryan, FGCU
Sophomore | Guard | Groveland, Ill. | Criminal Justice / Psychology
- First Career ASUN Conference Player of the Week honor; first career individual ASUN honor
- Third-straight Player of the Week award for FGCU; first occurrence since 2012-13
- Scored 19 points off the bench in a 76-71 home victory for the Eagles against Houston
- Shot four-of-six from deep and five-of-seven overall while also draining all four of her free throw attempts in the waning minutes of the game
- Sits just 27 points shy of breaking her career-high mark for point total in a season; Ryan currently has 62 total points after notching 88 as a freshman
Other Nominees: Jasmyn Brown, Jacksonville; Alexis Poole, Kennesaw State; Brittany Panetti, North Alabama; Arianna Emanuel-Wright, North Florida; Sarah Sagerer, Stetson.
.@chandlerryan4 was a key catalyst for @FGCU_WBB holding on to beat Houston with a career-high 19 points as she has been named the #ASUNWBB Player of the Week! #WingsUp— #ASUNWBB �� (@ASUNWBB) December 3, 2018
READ MORE: https://t.co/mO39cMCFo5 pic.twitter.com/zgnyVIN5Jr
ASUN Women's Basketball Newcomer of the Week - Dec. 3rd
Simina Avram, Kennesaw State
Senior | Center | Brasov, Romania | Applied Exercise and Health Science
- First Career ASUN Conference Newcomer of the Week award; first for KSU this season
- Averaged 13.5 PPG and 9.5 RPG over a 1-1 week for the Owls vs. in-state foes
- Notched a career-best 20 points in Kennesaw State's win vs. Georgia Southern; grabbed a career-high 13 rebounds to record a double-double
- Followed up her totals against Ga. Southern with seven points and six rebounds on the road vs. Mercer
- Blocked away a season-best six shots in the Owls' final home game of the 2018 calendar year vs. Georgia Southern
Other Nominees: Keri Jewett-Giles, FGCU; Dasha Eremeeva, North Florida; Addi Walters, Stetson.
.@KSUOwlsWBB center Simina Avram put up 20 pts and 13 rbds in the best game of her collegiate career vs. Georgia Southern and has been named the #ASUNWBB Newcomer of the Week! #GoKSUOwls— #ASUNWBB �� (@ASUNWBB) December 3, 2018
READ MORE: https://t.co/mO39cMCFo5 pic.twitter.com/5kHHlKYdM5
ASUN Women's Basketball Freshman of the Week - Dec. 3rd
Lauren Gross, North Florida
Freshman | Guard | Southaven, Miss. | Health Science
- First Career ASUN Conference Freshman of the Week Award; second in North Florida program history
- Averaged 12.5 PPG in two contests for the Ospreys; also grabbed 2.0 RPG
- Drained a career-high three three-pointers vs. Charleston Southern en route to a career-best 17 points in an overtime victory
- Followed the game vs. Charleston Southern with eight more points off the bench at Colorado State including two made threes
- Shots 47.1% from the field and 45.5% from deep over two games; was perfect from the free throw line hitting all four attempts vs. CSU
Other Nominees: Amani Johnson, Kennesaw State; Bionca Fizouaty, Stetson.
.@OspreyWBB freshman guard @Lauren_gross22 poured on a career-high 17 points in an OT win vs. Charleston Southern off a trio of three-balls. For that, she has been named #ASUNWBB Freshman of the Week! #SWOOPLife— #ASUNWBB �� (@ASUNWBB) December 3, 2018
READ MORE: https://t.co/mO39cMCFo5 pic.twitter.com/U9rBgnnPqD
ASUN Women's Basketball 2018-19 Weekly Winners
Nov. 12th - Player: Kamiyah Street, KSU | Newcomer: Emily Lytle, Liberty | Freshman: Amani Johnson, KSU
Nov. 19th - Player: Keri Jewett-Giles, FGCU | Newcomer: Keri Jewett-Giles, FGCU | Freshman: Amani Johnson, KSU
Nov. 26th - Player: Keri Jewett-Giles, FGCU | Newcomer: Keri Jewett-Giles, FGCU | Freshman: Johne' Stewart, Jacksonville
Dec. 3rd - Player: Chandler Ryan, FGCU | Newcomer: Simina Avram, KSU | Freshman: Lauren Gross, North Florida