LakePoint, Ga. - Lipscomb's Garrison Mathews & Jacksonville's Jalyn Hinton collected the first ASUN Conference Men's Basketball awards for the start of league play as both student-athletes led their teams to victory on opening day, announced Monday by the league office.
Mathews, who also collected the College Insider Lou Henson Player of the Week honor on Monday, collects his fifth career ASUN Player of the Week honor tying Adnan Hodzic for most in program history. The junior guard averaged 35.5 PPG as he set a Division I program record with 43 points in Lipscomb's 15-point win vs. Kennesaw State on Saturday, adding 13 rebounds and 15 free throws made. Mathews opened the week with 28 points in Lipscomb's 10th non-conference win of the season on Wednesday. He currently sits 12th in the nation for scoring at 22.8 PPG and owns 1,377 career points; 58th-most in ASUN history.
Hinton guided the Dolphins to two victories as the freshman averaged 19 PPG, 6.5 RPG and 1.5 BPG to earn his first Newcomer of the Week. He becomes the third different Dolphin to land the award this season joining Jace Hogan and JD Notae. Hinton and the Dolphins snapped a nine-game losing streak to North Florida with Saturday's 90-86 victory with the Boston, Mass. native dropping a career-high 22 points, which included the final four points of the game. On Tuesday, Hinton started the award-winning week with a double-double on 16 points and 10 rebounds.
ASUN Conference Men's Basketball Player of the Week - Jan. 8th
Garrison Mathews, Lipscomb
Junior | Guard | Franklin, Tenn.
- Fifth Career ASUN Player of the Week; tied for most in Lipscomb history
- Averaged 35.5 PPG, 8.5 RPG & 2.5 APG in 2-0 week for Lipscomb
- Set a Division I program record with 43 points in ASUN opener at Kennesaw State
- Added 13 rebounds for his first double-double of the season & fifth of his career
- Shot 12-of-20 from the field with four three's made & 15-of-17 on free throws
- Opened with 28 points, four boards in rout of Fisk on Wednesday
- Increased his league-leading scoring average to 22.8 PPG, which ranks 12th in the NCAA
Other Nominees: JD Notae, Jacksonville; Anthony Tarke, NJIT; Jure Span, USC Upstate.
ASUN Conference Men's Basketball Newcomer of the Week - Jan. 8th
Jalyn Hinton, Jacksonville
Freshman | Guard | Boston, Mass. | Kinesiology
- First Career ASUN Conference Newcomer of the Week; fourth award for JU this season
- Averaged 19 PPG, 6.5 RPG & 1.5 BPG in 2-0 week for Jacksonville
- Reached a career-high in points with 22 in JU's 90-86 victory at North Florida
- Scored final four points of the game with a dunk and two free throws in closing 30 seconds
- Added four boards & two blocks in JU's first win vs. UNF under Head Coach Tony Jasick
- Tallied double-double vs. Trinity Baptist on Tuesday with 16 points & 10 boards
- Leads ASUN in field goal percentage at 58.2; scored in double figures in three-straight games
Other Nominees: Dinero Mercurius, FGCU; Matt Rose, Lipscomb; Shawndale Jones, NJIT; Trip Day, North Florida.
|Date||ASUN Player of the Week||ASUN Newcomer of the Week|
|Nov. 13th||Garrison Mathews, Lipscomb||Abayomi Iyiola, Stetson|
|Nov. 20th||Ivan Gandia-Rosa, North Florida||Ivan Gandia-Rosa, North Florida|
|Nov. 27th||Devin Harris, Jacksonville||Jace Hogan, Jacksonville|
|Dec. 4th||Garrison Mathews, Lipscomb||Noah Horchler, North Florida|
|Dec. 11th||Brandon Goodwin, FGCU||Dinero Mercurius, FGCU|
|Dec. 18th||Anthony Tarke, NJIT||Noah Horchler, North Florida|
|Dec. 26th||Garrison Mathews, Lipscomb||JD Notae, Jacksonville|
|Jan. 2nd||JD Notae, Jacksonville||JD Notae, Jacksonville|
|Jan. 8th||Garrison Mathews, Lipscomb||Jalyn Hinton, Jacksonville|