LakePoint, Ga. - Lipscomb's Garrison Mathews and North Florida's Noah Horchler led their programs to two victories over the past seven days to earn the ASUN Conference Men's Basketball weekly awards, announced Monday by the league office.
Garrison Mathews helped the Bisons snap an 11-game losing streak in the Battle of the Boulevard as the junior guard registered 22 points with four three pointers against bitter rival Belmont. He grabbed six rebounds in the 74-66 road victory before adding 18 points and two steals in a narrow six-point loss at Tennessee Tech. The Franklin, Tenn. native capped the week by helping Lipscomb garner its third road win of the season with eight points, five rebounds, two assists and two steals in an overtime victory at Tennessee State.
North Florida's Noah Horchler helped the Ospreys tally a perfect week as the sophomore forward from Melbourne, Fla. averaged a double-double in wins vs. Eastern Michigan and Trinity Baptist. Horchler opened with 13 points and nine boards vs. the Eagles in an 84-81 overtime win at UNF Arena. He connected on 7-of-13 shots, while dishing out four dimes. He concluded his week out with 12 points, 14 rebounds and two assists in a rout of Trinity Baptist for UNF's third win of the season.
ASUN Conference Men's Basketball Player of the Week - Dec. 4th
Garrison Mathews, Lipscomb
Junior | Guard | Franklin, Tenn.
- Third Career ASUN Conference Player of the Week; second this year
- Led Lipscomb to 2-1 week which included wins vs. city rivals, Belmont & Tennessee State
- Averaged 16 PPG, 4.3 RPG and hit eight three pointers
- Posted 22 points & six boards in 74-66 win vs. the Bruins; marked first win vs. Belmont since Jan. 2011
- Registered 18 points on 7-of-13 shooting in six-point loss at Tennessee Tech
- Capped week with eight points, five rebounds, two assists and two steals in win vs. TSU
- Ranks second in the ASUN for scoring at 18.8 PPG
Other Nominees: Jace Hogan, Jacksonville; Abdul Lewis, NJIT; Ivan Gandia-Rosa, North Florida; Ramel Thompkins, USC Upstate.
ASUN Conference Men's Basketball Newcomer of the Week - Dec. 4th
Noah Horchler, North Florida
Sophomore | Forward | Melbourne, Fla.
- First Career Newcomer of the Week; 11th all-time for the Ospreys
- Averaged a double-double at 13 PPG, 11.5 RPG while shooting 59.1% on field goals
- Opened with 14 points and nine rebounds in OT win vs. Eastern Michigan
- Finished 7-of-13 from the floor with four assists vs. the Eagles
- Added double-double with 12 points, 14 boards in rout of Trinity Baptist
- Made 6-of-9 shots while tacking on two assists, a steal and a block
- Started all 10 games this season for the Ospreys
Other Nominees: JD Notae, Jacksonville; Greg Jones, Lipscomb; Diandre Wilson, NJIT.
|Date||ASUN Player of the Week||ASUN Newcomer of the Week|
|Nov. 13th||Garrison Mathews, Lipscomb||Abayomi Iyiola, Stetson|
|Nov. 20th||Ivan Gandia-Rosa, North Florida||Ivan Gandia-Rosa, North Florida|
|Nov. 27th||Devin Harris, Jacksonville||Jace Hogan, Jacksonville|
|Dec. 4th||Garrison Mathews, Lipscomb||Noah Horchler, North Florida|