LakePoint, Ga. - The first ASUN Conference Men's Basketball weekly awards were passed out to Lipscomb's Garrison Mathews & Stetson's Abayomi Iyiola, announced Monday by the league office.
Mathews' offensive prowess was on full display as Lipscomb opened the season with two victories for the first time since the 2006-07 season. In the season opener, Mathews finished two points shy of his career-high as he dropped 37 on Emory in a 15-point victory. The junior from Franklin, Tenn., connected on 11-of-21 field goal attempts including 4-of-8 from deep. He continued his scoring on Sunday in a 77-70 win vs. Morehead State with 25 points by making 4-of-7 on three pointers and 11-of-16 free throws.
Iyiola made a splash in his collegiate debut with a double-double against Webber with 21 points on 10-of-15 shooting as the freshman added 13 rebounds for his first career double-double. The Atlanta, Ga. native continued with 11 points and six boards in Stetson's overtime victory at FIU. Iyiola's week helped the Hatters start the season 2-0 for the second-straight year.
ASUN Conference Men's Basketball Players of the Week - Nov. 13th
Garrison Mathews, Lipscomb
Junior | Guard | Franklin, Tenn.
- Second Career ASUN Conference Player of the Week; 22nd all-time for Lipscomb
- Averaged 31 PPG & 3 RPG in first 2-0 start for Lipscomb since 2006-07
- Tallied 37 points in 98-83 victory vs. Emory on Friday; two away from his career-high
- Continued with 25 points and three boards in 77-70 win vs. Morehead State on Sunday
- For the week, shot 51.6% on field goals, 53.3% on three's & 71.0% on free throws
- Lipscomb travels to Alabama on Tuesday at 7 PM CT
Other Nominees: Zach Johnson, FGCU; JD Notae, Jacksonville; James Scott, Kennesaw State; Jure Span, USC Upstate.
ASUN Conference Men's Basketball Newcomer of the Week - Nov. 13th
Abayomi Iyiola, Stetson
Freshman | Forward | Atlanta, Ga.
- First Career ASUN Conference Newcomer of the Week; 17th all-time for Stetson
- Averaged 16 PPG & 9.5 RPG as Hatters opened season 2-0 for second-straight year
- Opened collegiate career with 21 points & 13 rebounds in 98-89 win vs. Webber
- Helped Stetson collect 70-64 overtime road victory vs. FIU with 11 points and six boards
- Shot 10-of-15 against Webber & 5-of-10 at FIU from the floor
- Hatters go for first 3-0 start since 2000-01 vs. South Florida on Wednesday at 8 PM ET
Other Nominees: Dinero Mercurius, FGCU; JD Notae, Jacksonville; Andrew Fleming, Lipscomb; Ivan Gandia-Rosa, North Florida.
|Date||ASUN Player of the Week||ASUN Newcomer of the Week|
|Nov. 13th||Garrison Mathews, Lipscomb||Abayomi Iyiola, Stetson|