KENNESAW, Ga. – Behind a dominant performance from Brooks Buckler on the mound and a four-run inning in the opening frame, Kennesaw State trampled UMASS 9-0 in game one of the weekend series.
With one out in the first inning, Jake Franklin recorded the Owls' first triple of 2019 with a line drive into left field which laid the groundwork for a four-run inning. After Alex Carballo drew a two-out walk, Tyler Simon doubled off of the right-field wall to give KSU a 2-0 lead. During the next at-bat, Darius Diaz drove home a pair to push the lead to 4-0.
After two quiet innings from both sides, the Owls extended their lead in the fourth inning. Following a walk and a Franklin single to right field, Terence Norman singled up the middle to plate two more runs.
Kennesaw State did not score again until the sixth inning, when Norman plated his third RBI of the contest with a single to right field. With two outs in the frame, Kooper Briley, during his first-ever at-bat, singled to plate a pair and give the Owls their final lead of the game.
Buckler pitched 6.0 innings of scoreless baseball, and gave up just five hits while striking out three. Franklin continued his tear at the plate, batting 3-for-5 against the Minutemen.
The Owls continue their series with UMASS tomorrow at 2 p.m.
- The Owls have won three games in a row
- It was Buckler's third appearance where he pitched six or more innings
- Buckler forced seven ground outs
- Kooper Briley recorded his first hit and RBIs as an Owl
- Terence Norman logged a game-high three RBIs to go along with a pair of hits
- Darius Diaz recorded two hits and two RBIs
- David Chabut drew two walks
- Ryan Wesley pitched 1.1 innings, giving up just two hits
- Nathan Dupree tossed the last 1.2 frames for the Owls and did not allow a hit