LakePoint, Ga. - The ASUN Conference Baseball regular season comes to a close this weekend as teams play begin three-game series on Thursday. Two ASUN Championship spots are still up for grabs, while only one seed has been determined coming into this week's action. FGCU and Lipscomb go head-to-head in Nashville, while NJIT looks to make more history this year and secure a postseason berth when they host North Florida.
Stetson hosts USC Upstate needing just one win to secure the regular season title outright. The Spartans need to sweep the Hatters to keep hope alive for a postseason spot. Jacksonville and Kennesaw State will play in the River City with the winner of the series securing the No. 2 seed in the upcoming ASUN Championship.
Fans can tune into the new ESPN+ network to watch all three games from Melching Field in DeLand, Fla. and Ken Dugan Field in Nashville, Tenn. Live Stats will be available for all four conference series.
Fans can follow @ASUNBSB on Twitter all weekend long to stay up to date with the action.
Record: 31-19 (7-11)
Upcoming Series: at Lipscomb (Thursday, 7 PM; Friday, 7 PM; Saturday, 2 PM - all games on ESPN+)
- The Eagles travel to Lipscomb for a crucial final ASUN series this week. FGCU needs to win the series to ensure its spot in the upcoming ASUN Championship. FGCU is looking to snap a seven-game losing streak.
- Despite losing its last seven contests, the Eagles continue to lead the ASUN in homers (40) and RBI (278). Kohl Gilmore (10) and Richie Garcia (7) have combined for the most homers by any ASUN duo this season.
- FGCU's 12 road wins is tied for the third most in the ASUN as the head to Lipscomb to close out the regular season. They are averaging 6.5 runs per game on the road, while hitting .284 as a club in road outings.
- Josh Dye continued his excellent season with another outing of 7.0 innings last weekend. He now has pitched 6.0 innings or more in 11 of his 13 starts this season. His 2.55 ERA ranks fifth in the ASUN.
- Sophomore Marc Coffers has been a speed demon on the basepaths this season for FGCU. He leads the team and the ASUN with 20 stolen bases, which is only five shy of FGCU's single-season program record.
- Mario Leon pitched 6.0 quality innings last time out for FGCU. He now has pitched 79.0 innings this year, setting a new single-season career-high mark for innings pitched. His 2.73 ERA ranks 10th in the ASUN.
- The Eagles hold a 21-16 all-time series lead against Lipscomb entering this weekend's crucial series. FGCU has won seven in a row, including a series sweep the last time the teams met in Nashville back in 2016.
Record: 34-17 (11-6)
Upcoming Series: vs. Kennesaw State (Thursday, 7 PM; Friday, 7 PM; Saturday, 1 PM)
- Jacksonville punched its ticket to the ASUN Championship last weekend with a sweep at USC Upstate. The Dolphins can finish as high as the No. 2 seed if they take the series from Kennesaw State this weekend.
- Scott Dubrule was named ASUN Player of the Week after a scorching hot weekend at the plate. He finished with 12 RBI, including seven in one game, which marked a new JU single-game record.
- Angel Camacho holds the team lead in RBI with 46, while Dubrule shot up the list and now has 45. They are the only ASUN duo currently with 40 or more RBI entering this weekend's matchup against the Owls.
- The Dolphins' offense also features Chris Lehane who has a three-game multi-hit streak entering this weekend. The infielder ranks fifth in the ASUN in hits (62) and second in OBP at .433 this season.
- On the mound, star closer Chris Mauloni picked up a win last weekend and struck out a new career-high seven batters in 2.2 innings of relief. It marked his fourth outing of 2.0 innings or more this season.
- Jacksonville's pitching staff has an ERA of 3.90 overall, and 3.64 in conference play entering the final weekend. Opponents are only hitting .255 against the Dolphins, which currently ranks second in the conference.
- The all-time series between Jacksonville and Kennesaw State is a tight one with JU trailing 19-18. The teams are 3-3 in their last two regular season series, with the road team capturing each series.
Kennesaw State Owls
Record: 25-25 (11-7)
Upcoming Series: at Jacksonville (Thursday, 7 PM; Friday, 7 PM; Saturday, 1 PM)
- Kennesaw State looks to bounce back from a series defeat at home when they travel to Jacksonville this week. The Owls can secure the No. 2 seed at the ASUN Championship with a series win against JU.
- The Owls rank third in the ASUN with 480 total hits this season. Four players have collected 50 or more with Terence Norman (59) and Grant Williams (59) leading the team individually in that category.
- Only six of Kennesaw State's 25 wins have come on the road this season. The offense is hitting only .249 on the road, compared to .291 at home. The team is averaging 5.0 runs per game on the road this year.
- Brooks Buckley pitched his first career complete game in last weekend's lone win vs. NJIT. The junior allowed only two runs on seven hits. He now has pitched at least 7.0 innings in three of his last four starts.
- In conference play, the pitching staff is only allowing opponents to bat .223 this year. Kennesaw State's staff ERA of 3.81 ranks fourth in conference play entering this week's action against Jacksonville.
- Tyler Simon continues to be one of the top hitting freshmen in the ASUN. His .323 batting average ranks second among league rookies, while his .456 slugging percentage is third on the team.
- The Owls hold a slight advantage over the Dolphins in the all-time series entering this weekend. Kennesaw State leads the series 19-18 and won their last regular season series in Jacksonville 2-1 back in 2016.
Record: 21-27 (7-11)
Upcoming Series: vs. FGCU (Thursday, 6 PM CT; Friday, 6 PM CT; Saturday, 1 PM CT - all games on ESPN+)
- The Bisons host FGCU for the final regular season series to Nashville this week. Lipscomb clinches a spot in the ASUN Championship with a series win. Seventeen of Lipscomb's 21 wins have come at home.
- Lipscomb continued to show off its power with three more homers in the series at North Florida. Lee Solomon connected on two in one game as the senior now has five on the season, second-most on the team.
- Zeke Dodson had two hits last weekend to bring his season total to a team-best 50. It marks the third-straight season that the third basemen has collected 50 or more hits in a single season for the Bisons.
- Lipscomb leads the ASUN in sacrifice flies as we enter the final weekend of the regular season. The Bisons have 23 sacrifice flies on the season, with Dodson accounting for a team-best eight of those.
- Freshman Noah Thompson has been in the weekend rotation for the Bisons and holds the lowest ERA among ASUN Freshman at 3.33. He pitched at least 6.0 innings for the fifth time this season last weekend.
- Junior Kyle Kemp boasts the best K/9 ratio on the team at 11.00. He struck out seven batters in only 4.0 innings of work last week. Chris Kachmar has the team lead in strikeouts at 64 entering this week.
- The Bisons trail in the all-time series with FGCU, 21-16 entering this weekend's action. They have lost seven in a row to the Eagles. Prior to this current streak, the Bisons had won six consecutive in the series.
Record: 20-22 (7-11)
Upcoming Series: vs. North Florida (Thursday, 6 PM; Friday, 6 PM; Saturday, 12 PM)
- NJIT picked up its first ASUN series win of the year last weekend and welcome UNF to Newark to close out the regular season. The Highlanders can qualify for the postseason with a series win.
- The Highlanders collected their 20th win of the season last weekend, which marks the first time since 2015 that NJIT has posted 20 wins in a single season. They had nine wins last year.
- Jesse Uttendorfer became NJIT's all-time hits leader last weekend as the senior now has 223 career-hits. He is batting .304 this year with a .472 slugging percentage and 24 RBI.
- Evan Pietronico and Michael Anastasia join Uttendorfer with 20+ RBI entering the final conference weekend of the season. Anastasia also leads the team in walks with 26 this year.
- Tyler Stafflinger continues to hold the best ERA on the team at 2.36 entering this weekend's series with North Florida. He ranks eighth in conference play with a 2.81 ERA.
- The Highlanders have only had eight home games this season and are batting .267 in those contests. They have hit five homers in those eight games compared to eight in 32 road games.
- NJIT is 0-6 against North Florida in the all-time series. The Highlanders only managed four combined runs the last time these two played a regular season series in Newark back in 2016.
North Florida Ospreys
Record: 24-24 (9-9)
Upcoming Series: at NJIT (Thursday, 6 PM; Friday, 6 PM; Saturday, 12 PM)
- The Ospreys clinched their spot in the ASUN Championship with a series win last weekend vs. Lipscomb. The travel to NJIT and look to improve their seeding before hosting the Championship next week.
- Jay Prather has reached base safely in 34 consecutive games heading into this weekend's series at NJIT. The last time the infielder didn't reach base via a hit or walk was March 3rd against UConn.
- Tanner Murphy continues to share the league lead with 10 homers on the season. He also leads the conference in runs scored (44), total bases (110) and slugging percentage (.576) entering the final weekend.
- North Florida's pitching staff holds a 3.55 team ERA in conference play, which ranks second in the league. ASUN opponents are only hitting .247 against the Ospreys as they travel to take on NJIT next.
- Frank German continues to dominate as the junior leads the conference with a 1.36 ERA. He has a 7-2 record and has thrown 79.1 innings this year. He has pitched 6.0 or more innings in nine straight starts.
- Brad Deppermann collected ASUN Pitcher of the Week honors after one of his best performances for the Ospreys. He tied his career-high with 8.0 IP and eight K's in a crucial victory against Lipscomb.
- The Ospreys have never lost to NJIT as they lead the all-time series 6-0. North Florida has outscored the Highlanders 72-16 in those outings, including a 22-2 win the last time they played in Newark.
USC Upstate Spartans
Record: 23-27-1 (5-13)
Upcoming Series: at Stetson (Thursday, 6:30 PM; Friday, 6:30 PM; Saturday, 1 PM - all games on ESPN+)
- USC Upstate travels to Stetson for the final series of the regular season. The Spartans will need to sweep the series and hope for some other results to fall their way to qualify for the ASUN Championship.
- Freshman Kyle Gensler is riding an eight-game hitting streak into this weekend's regular season finale. He is hitting a team-best .332, which also is the highest batting average among ASUN Freshman this year.
- Senior Charlie Carpenter is the only other regular starter with a batting average north of .300. He has a team-high 62 hits this year and is batting .323 on the year. He needs eight hits to match last year's total.
- Blake Whitney leads the Spartans in ERA at 2.03 entering the final weekend of the season. He has produced 81 K's in 71.0 IP this season and features a 10.27 K/9 ratio, fourth-best among ASUN starters.
- Russell Schwertfeger leads USC Upstate with 17 extra-base hits this season, five of them being triples. He ranks second on the team in RBI with 36, two behind Carpenter's 38 RBI.
- Toran Shahidi has an on-base percentage of .411, which ranks third on the team behind Carpenter (.445) and Gensler (.424). USC Upstate is one of only two ASUN teams with three batters at .400 or better.
- USC Upstate enters this weekend trailing the all-time series with Stetson 20-12. They last won a game in DeLand, Fla. on May 17, 2014 when they defeated Stetson 10-4 to close out the regular season.
#13 Stetson Hatters
Record: 40-11 (14-3)
Upcoming Series: vs. USC Upstate (Thursday, 6:30 PM; Friday, 6:30 PM; Saturday, 1 PM - all games on ESPN+)
- Riding the nation's longest active winning streak at 10, Stetson clinched the top seed in the ASUN Championship last weekend. The Hatters can earn the outright regular season title with one win this weekend.
- Stetson's pitching staff continues to by absolute dynamite as the Hatters rank first nationally in ERA (2.62), second in WHIP (1.11) and third in strikeouts per nine innings (10.5) entering this weekend's action.
- Logan Gilbert posted his ninth start of double-digit strikeouts last weekend when he fanned 13 FGCU Eagles. He leads the ASUN and all of Division I baseball with 134 strikeouts entering this series vs. Upstate.
- Brooks Wilson took over the nation's save lead last weekend as he closed out two of the three wins. He now has 19 on the year, which sets a new ASUN single-season record for most saves.
- Jorge Arenas became the first Hatter to reach 30 RBI this season as the shortstop collected one at FGCU. Six different Hatters have collected 20 or more RBI on the year, with Mike Spooner (28) closing in on Arenas.
- Jack Perkins continued his outstanding season with 7.2 shutout innings against FGCU last weekend. The righty has only allowed four earned runs in his last 35.2 IP spanning five weekend starts.
- Stetson leads the all-time series against USC Upstate at 20-12 entering this weekend's matchup. The Hatters have not lost a series to the Spartans since 2012, when USC Upstate won two games in DeLand.