LakePoint, Ga. - FGCU's Richie Garcia and Stetson's Mitchell Senger were rewarded for outstanding performances with this week's ASUN Conference Baseball weekly honors, the league office announced on Monday afternoon.
Garcia takes home his second career ASUN Baseball Player of the Week award, his first of this season after being on fire for the Eagles last week at the plate. He produced four multi-hit games to lead the Eagles to a 5-0 mark. For the week, Garcia went 11-for-23 (.478 batting average) and scored five runs. Four of those 11 hits were doubles, including three in the series opener against Evansville. He finished the week with 11 RBIs, including getting two or more in four of the five outings. His slugging percentage was .783 for the week, while his on-base percentage finished at .519. He added three stolen bases to his standout week as well.
Senger collects his second ASUN Pitcher of the Week honor in the last three weeks as his dominating start to the 2018 campaign continued over the weekend. Senger pitched seven shutout innings against Richmond to earn the victory. He only allowed one hit, a slow roller that was double clutched by the defender, and finished the game with 11 strikeouts. The Spiders' offense only managed one hit and two walks despite coming into the weekend with a team average over .300. Senger lowered his season ERA to 0.34, while opponents are hitting a miniscule .085 against him so far this season.
ASUN Conference Baseball Player of the Week - Mar. 12
Richie Garcia, FGCU
Sophomore | Infielder | Davie, Fla. | Finance
- Second Career ASUN Baseball Player of the Week honor; first this season
- Picked up four multi-hit performances to lead the Eagles to a 5-0 week
- Finished the week hitting 11-for-23 (.478 batting average) with five runs scored
- Five of those 11 hits went for extra-bases, with four doubles and one homer
- Collected 11 RBIs and added three stolen bases; posted .519 OBP & .783 slugging percentage
Other Nominees: Ladonis Bryant, Kennesaw State; Jeffrey Crisan, Lipscomb; Michael Anastasia, NJIT; Mac Wilson, North Florida; Charlie Carpenter, USC Upstate; Jacob Koos, Stetson.
ASUN Conference Baseball Pitcher the Week - Mar. 12
Mitchell Senger, Stetson
Sophomore | Pitcher | Boca Raton, Fla. | Sport Business
- Second Career ASUN Baseball Pitcher of the Week award; third consecutive for Stetson
- Continued his dominating start to the season with a seven inning outing vs. Richmond
- Allowed only one hit and two walks in his outing against the Spiders
- Finished the game with 11 strikeouts, his second most in a game this season
- Opponents are only hitting .085 against him this season, while his ERA dropped to 0.34
Other Nominees: Josh Dye, FGCU; AJ Moore, Kennesaw State; Jared Kasco, NJIT; Frank German, North Florida; Grant Hoppock, USC Upstate.
|Date||Player of the Week||Pitcher of the Week|
|Feb. 19||Alex Brait, FGCU||Tyler Santana, Jacksonville|
|Feb. 26||Kohl Gilmore, FGCU||Mitchell Senger, Stetson|
|Mar. 5||Charlie Carpenter, USC Upstate||Logan Gilbert, Stetson|
|Mar. 12||Richie Garcia, FGCU||Mitchell Senger, Stetson|