LakePoint, Ga. - Three ASUN Conference Baseball players were selected on Day Two of the 2017 MLB First-Year Draft. Michael Baumann of Jacksonville became the second Dolphin in as many years to be the first ASUN player off the board, getting picked by the Baltimore Orioles in the 3rd round.
Chosen 98th overall, Baumann went just seven picks off of former teammate Austin Hays for the highest ASUN pick in the past two years. Both Dolphins have been drafted by the Baltimore Orioles over the past two years, while Baumann is the highest drafted ASUN pitcher since JU's Chris Anderson was taken by the Dodgers in 2013 (1st Round/18th Pick).
Lipscomb's Michael Gigliotti was the second ASUN player off the board, as the center fielder was selected by the 2015 World Series Champion Kansas City Royals' 120th overall in the 4th Round. He trails only Rex Brothers (1st Round/34th Pick) for the highest Bisons' selection in MLB Draft history.
Tony Dibrell would be the last ASUN player to get drafted in the Day Two of the 2017 MLB Draft. The right-handed pitcher went just seven picks after Gigliotti at No. 127 to the New York Mets. Dibrell's selection is the highest Owl arm chosen since Chad Jenkins was taken by the Toronto Blue Jays 20th overall in the 2009 first-year draft.
Michael Baumann, Jacksonville - Baltimore Orioles (3rd Round/98th Overall)
- Finished 2017 season with 3.09 ERA
- Owns the Jacksonville strikeout record at 251
- Averaged 10.00 K/9 on the year, fifth among all ASUN starters
Michael Gigliotti, Lipscomb - Kansas City Royals (4th Round/120th Overall)
- Led the ASUN with 31 stolen bases; tied for 6th in Division I Baseball
- 56 walks on the year sits tied in D-I and is second in the conference
- Reached safely in the last 15 games of the season, driving in five runs over three games in the ASUN Championship
Tony Dibrell, Kennesaw State - New York Mets (4th Round/127th Overall)
- Finished fourth overall in the ASUN with a 2.45 ERA
- Registered three complete games during the 2017 campaign, striking out 24 in 26.0 IP during that time
- Led team with seven wins and 103 K on the year